What is the role?
Teaching Assistants work across all age ranges in the education sector including working with children and young people with special educational needs and who may be emotionally vulnerable. The Teaching Assistant works directly with the class teacher to enhance pupil’s learning either in groups or individually and is knowledgeable across the curriculum areas. They are confident and supportive with pupils, providing a positive role model in the learning environment, promoting suitable skills and behaviours to ensure development and progression for pupils’ future success.
Duration of course?
Usually 18 months
As this course is employer-led, these may have been defined by your employer, however learners will need to be at least 16 years of age and having achieved 5 GCSE’s, including Maths and English, Grade C or above or 4/5 will be an advantage.
How is the course delivered?
Your bespoke course is designed with your employer and therefore, it enables you to study effectively and flexibly alongside your work. You are assigned a personal tutor who guides you through the course, signposting you to appropriate resources, as well as our SBSOnline virtual learning tool which pools together teaching materials and the opportunity for peer support. During the course your tutor helps you build an electronic portfolio which contains evidence of your performance and progression as a Teaching Assistant. Following a successful end point assessment, at the end of the course you will have the following knowledge, skills and behaviours:
- Understanding how pupils learn and develop
- Knowing how to use appropriate technology to support learning
- Working with teachers to understand and support assessment for learning
- Understanding the curriculum and context for learning
- Keeping children safe in education
- Developing strategies for support
- Communication and team work
- Working with teachers to accurately assess
- Using technology
- Problem solving to motivate pupils
- Building relationships/embracing change
- Adding value to education
- Promoting equality, diversity and inclusion
- Professional standards and personal accountability
- Team working, collaboration/engagement
Should you need to undertake Level 2 functional skills in Maths and English, these are delivered at our training centre in relaxed and supportive workshops.
As well as ensuring full competency as a Teaching Assistant, this standard provides a foundation for potential progression into a number of career paths in the Educational sector including Higher Level Teaching Assistant, Assistant Teacher and Teacher.